A Memorandum of Agreement between Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University (DMMMSU) and Benguet State University (BSU) on September 2015, 2013 established the Cordillera Regional Apiculture Center as a regional center of the National Apiculture Research Training and Development Institute (NARTDI) here in the Cordillera Region.
A premier regional apiculture center established for human, material and natural resources development for a competitive apiculture industry.
To educate and train would-be beekeepers, apiculturists, andother stakeholders, conduct researches, and extend technologies towards the development of apiculture in the region in collaboration with the concerned government agencies/institutions, non-government organizations/private sector and other apiculture/beekeeping stakeholders
To establish apiculture/beekeeping as a sustainable households' complimentary source of income that is integrated into the farming systems in the region.
1. Enhance the capabilities of human resources of collaborating agencies/institutions for the effective implementation of the beekeeping development in the region;
2. Undertake researches and technology innovations to address specific concerns of beekeeping in the region;
3. Initiate establishment of Provincia Apiculture Satellite Centers in the provinces of Abra, Apayao, Ifugao, Mt. Province and Kalinga based at concerned State Universities/Colleges in ea c h province;
4. Establish queen rearing and production projects in strategic locations of the region;
5.Strengthen the honey processing, packaging, marketing centers, production volume, product diversification and development of business models, in strategic locations of the region;
6. Coordinate service assistance (eg. technical, financial, trainings/conventions, and other) extended to be beekeepers and stakeholders; and
7. Conduct periodic monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of beekeeping development programs in the region.
Divisions and their functions
a. Apiculture Research and Technology Innovation Division
- Conducts researches on apiculture and other related studies
- Conducts bee breeding programs
- Designs, develops and tests low-cost tools and machineris needed in beekeeping
b. Apiary Management and Colony Production Division
- Establish of demonstration apiary
- Establish provincial satellite centers
- Produce of colonies for research needs of the center
- Produce of queens and colonies for dispersal
- Maintain breeder queens for queen rearing purposes
c. Bee Product Processing and Diversification Division
- Develop and expand bee products
- Develop and expand bee products processing and utilization
- Design and develop low-cost and efficient harvesting and prcessing tools, machineries and facilities
d. Training and Extension Division
- Conduct/coordinate training and extension program
- Conduct conferences, symposia and seminars in beekeeping
- Develop and publish IEC materials on beekeeping
- Pilot and showcase appropriate technologies in beekeeping
- Provide expert services to beekeepers/visitors and other clients