Climate Smart Agriculture Center (CSAC)
Vision: A center for building capabilities for climate change mitigation and adaptation on the Cordillera Administrative Region
Mission: To spearhead the generation, development, dissemination and utilization of gender sensitive climate-smart agriculture systems and technologies in order for highland farming communities be able to adapt to climate change
Goal: To increase agricultural productivity and income, build resilience and the capacity of agricultural and food systems amidst climate change
1. Develop and package climate-smart crop and animal production systems, information
2. Develop technologies to enhance soil health of vegetable terraces and sloping land
and in improve/restore productivity of degraded soil;
3.Demonstrate and disseminate technologies on climate-smart agriculture in farming communities;
4. Conduct relevant trainings to strengthen capacities of farming communities institutions to
cope with and adapt to climate change; and
5. Conduct climate change advocacy activities in coordination with appropriate office/agencies.
Divisions and Their Functions
1. Climate-Smart Crop Production Division- Establish "climate ready" crop production systems utilizing indigenous, new and improved crop species for climate change adaptatio; evaluate the performance of selected vegetables, ornamentals, fruit crop germplasm for tolerance to drought, extended flooding and frost; development of adaptable cropping and pest management systems.
2. Soil Health and Management Division- Integrate and adopt sustainable farming practices such as conservation farming and agroforestry,tending to the principles of organic farming, integrated nutrient management and sloping land management; evaluate and develop soil rehabilitation strategies through appropriate soil conservation and management for degraded areas.
3. Climate-Smart Animal Production Division- Select and conserve indigenous animals, breed for enhanced adaptive capacity and increasing resiliency of animals; develop small-scale enterprises through diversified farm system approach; enhance nutrient and feedin; and utilize animal products and waste.
4. Climate-Smart Forestry and Watershed Management Division- Identify and evaluate forest trees with resistance/tolerance under extended flooding and drought, undertake resource conservation activities such as soil and water conservation measures, reforestation, assist natural regeneration and forest protection, conduct domestication of identification fruit trees and other tree species and establish nurseries.
5. Agriculture Risk Management and Advocacy Division